Quiet Heroes – A Symphonic Salute to the Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima (2007)
“Quiet Heroes” premiered with the Fox Valley Symphony in 2007. It is a 45 minute, 4 movement piece for full orchestra and narrator saluting those who fought for our country at Iwo Jima. Wilford Brimley, a US Marine, is a big fan of the piece and narrated the premiere as well as many additional performances, including an arrangement of the piece for band, played by The President’s Own, U.S. Marine Corps band. “Quiet Heroes” salutes our veterans and has been programmed often for Veterans Day and Memorial Days concerts.
Commissioned by the Fox Valley Symphony, Brian Groner, Music Director, in honor of their 40th Anniversary Season
Commission Sponsor: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
For purchase or rental information visit the Contact page.
- 3 Flutes (Flute 3 = Piccolo)
- 2 Oboes (Oboe 2 = English Horn)
- 2 Clarinets (Bb)
- 2 Bassoons
- 4 Horns (F)
- 3 Trumpets (Bb)
- 3 Trombones (Trombone 3 = Bass Trombone)
- 1 Tuba
- Percussion 1 (BALCONY): Tubular Bells, Chimes, Bass Drums
- Percussion 2: Drum Set, Sus. Cym., Tambourine
- Percussion 3: Vibraphone, Marimba, Xylophone, Triangle, Finger Cymbals, Crash Cymbals, Sus. Cym, Triangle, Gong (Deep Pitched), Maraca, Bass Drum, Conga, Snare Drum
- Percussion 4: Glock., Marimba, Crash Cymbals, Sus. Cym., Triangle, Gong, Bell Tree, Tubular Bells, Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Guiro, Temple Block (Medium Pitched), Sand Blocks, Shaker Pod, Anvil/Brake Drum
- Violins I, II
- 1 Narrator
Reviews / Comments
"Quiet Heroes—Tribute to the Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima"
By Staff Sgt. Rachel Ghadiali | United States Marine Band | February 3, 2015